Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Baked Southwest Egg Rolls


I saw this recipe on pinterest and I just had to try it. http://annies-eats.com/2010/03/05/baked-southwestern-egg-rolls/  I made them last night and they were delicious.  They are baked and homemade, so they are healthier than the ones at restaurants and in the grocery freezer section.  I even wrapped the cooked leftovers in wax paper and reheated one tonight.  I reheated a frozen egg roll in the toaster oven for 10 minutes and it tasted just as good tonight as it did last night. 
  • 2 cups of frozen corn, thawed
  • 1 (15oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 (10oz) package of frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezed dry (the recipe calls for a full package, but I choose to use only 1/2 of the package.)
  • 2 cups of shredded Mexican cheese blend
  • 1 (4oz) can of diced green chilies
  • 1/2 of a chopped red onion (recipe suggested 4 green onions.  I didn't have them, so I used red onion.)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp of chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
  • 1 cooked chicken breast, chopped
  • 1 package of egg roll wrappers
Finely chop onion and cooked chicken breast with a food chopper.  In a large bowl (the size that you make cookies in), combine all of the above ingredients, except the egg roll wrappers.  Mix well, the spinach likes to clump together.

Lay the egg roll wrapper on a cutting board or working surface, with one of the corners pointed toward you.  Place 1/4 cup of the mixture in the center of the egg roll wrapper.
And this is how I rolled my egg rolls.  I have never rolled egg rolls before, but this is how I interpreted the instructions.  Fold the corner closet to you over the mixture and tuck it under the mixture.
Dip your finger tip in water and wet the exposed edges of the egg roll wrapper.  This help the wrapper stick.  Fold the left and right corners to the center.  I pushed the wrapper down next to the mixture, like I was wrapping a package.
 This is what it looked like after this step.
 Then I just rolled the egg roll away from me.
Spray the baking sheet with cooking spray and place the egg rolls seam side down.  Use a basting brush to lightly brush olive oil on the egg rolls. 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and bake for 15 minutes.  Turn the egg rolls halfway through the cooking time.  I forgot to turn them and they turned out fine.
We like to eat ours with Ranch dressing. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...