Monday, May 7, 2012

DIY Pelmet Boxes, a.k.a. Cornice Boards


These pelmet boxes were easy to make and they can be made in just a couple of hours.

First, I determined the height and placement of the pelmet boxes by taping paper to the wall.  Based on the placement, I determined to make ours 10" high and have them be 2" above the window and 1 and 3/4"  to the left/right of the window.
After, making our measurements, my husband cut the boxes out of pine. 

He screwed and glued the ends together.

Then I laid the box on the fabric and cut enough to allow the fabric to wrap around the board and the batting.
I marked the center and top of my board, to make sure the pattern was centered on each board.
I wrapped the batting and fabric around the board and used a staple gun to keep it in place. Some websites suggested using duct tape, but I prefer the staple gun.

Since my pattern had stripes, I had to make sure that they stayed vertical.  I wrapped the fabric around the top and bottom, then I finished the ends.
I folded the fabric at the corners to create a nice seam.  It reminded me of gift wraping a present.
Finished side.
This pictures shows the patterns were centered on each board.
These pelmet boxes were only 3" away from the wall, so we used vertical blind replacement hardware.  We can not see our neighbors out our kitchen windows, so we will not be putting up any additional blinds or curtains.  If we were going to use blinds or curtains, we would need to make the boxes deeper to allow room for them behind the pelmet box.
Here is a photo of the hardware on the backside of the pelmet box.
Before picture of window over sink.
After picture of finished pelmet box over sink.
Before picture of window by table.
After picture of finished pelmet box by table.
Before picture of desk window.
After picture of finished pelmet box over desk.

Now, that we made these I am getting ideas of where I can do more of them over other windows.



Here is a list of the Linky parties that I link up to.  Thank you to all of the hosts for letting me post my favorite recipes, crafts, money saving ideas and activities for children.

Sunday - 
I heart nap time The Foley Family Tutus and Tea Parties Nifty Thrifty Things Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas Navy Wifey Peters The Chicken Chick

Monday -
Mrs. Happy Homemaker Flour me with love Adventures in mommyland
Be Colorful I Gotta Try this Colours Dekor
Make it Pretty Monday diy home sweet home creating really awesome free things Sumo's Sweet Stuff All Things Fee Sew Chatty Ninth Street Notions An Original Belle  Mad in Crafts Skip to my Lou The Gunny Sack  


Tuesday -
Inside BruCrew Life Chef in training Home Stories A to Z Hope Studios Coastal Charm House of Grace Tempt my Tummy Tuesday  - Blessed with Grace Ladybug blessings Sugar Bee Crafts My uncommon slice of suburbia At home with K  Me and my boys Romance on a dime Elizabeth and Co. Back for Seconds
Not just a housewife  Mandy's Recipe Box Crazy for Crust - desserts    33 shades of green The Winthrop Chronicles Claim Our Space - Tout it Tuesday

Wednesday-
Free Pretty Things JAQS Studio
My Girlish Whims Sew Much Ado Someday Crafts Domestically Speaking Ginger Snap Crafts  Seven Thirty Three Southern Lovely Trendy Treehouse Primp Rae Gun Ramblings DIY by Design
Lil' Luna Lady Behind the Curtain Ivy and Elephants

Thursday
Beyond the Picket Fence The Artsy Girl Connection Made in a Day Momnivore's Dilemma Christinas Adventures Fireflies and jellybeans Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom Somewhat Simple House of Hepworth Yesterday on Tuesday Rhinestone Beagle  The Crafty Blog Stalker Bear Rabbit Bear Crafts Think Tank Thursdays

Friday-
Truly Lovely My Romantic Home Home Maid Simple
Miss Information Delicate construction One Artsy Mama  It's a Hodgepodge life Whipperberry Stuff and Nonsense 504 Main Craft Junkie Too Chic on a Shoestring Decorating Living Life Intentionally  Simply Designing Blissful Bucket list Simply Sweet Home Thirty Hand Made Days Kitchen Fun with my 3 sons The Grant Life Simple Living with Diane Blach Diana Rambles

Saturday-
Funky Junk Interiors Tater Tots and Jello A Vision to Remember Serenity You Cheerios and Lattes



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...