Friday, May 25, 2012

Making Crystal Trees - Preschool Science


I found this science project on pinterest and I had to try it out. I got my recipe at: http://www.ldscraftproject.com/2012/04/preschool-science-crystal-trees/

It only takes a few ingredients and it is really easy to do. 
Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons of salt
2 Tablespoons of water
2 Tablespoons of liquid bluing (Mrs. Stewart's brand is available in the laundry detergent aisle.)
1 Tablespoon of ammonia
Cardboard toilet paper roll
Disposable bowl
Food coloring

First, Lillie dropped little drops of food color on the cardboard roll.
I measured the ingredients in a container that seals well (i.e.clean Starbucks container) and Lillie mixed them up by shaking the container.
 Then she poured the mixture into the disposable bowl with the toilet paper roll in it.
 After a few hours we started to see some crystals.  Some of them were the color of the food coloring.
 That night we had a few more.
And the next day the crystal had really grown.
This was a great project and I can't to try it with Sophie in a few years.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...