Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Melted Bead Sun Catchers - stars and hearts



This week, Lillie and I made these stars and hearts sun catchers. The star is perfect for the 4th of July, and the heart will be great for Valentines Day. 

This was my pinspiration:
I saw this melted bead sun catcher on Pinterest.  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=185741.0  I decided to give it a try, but make different shapes for holidays.  This crafter used metal pie pans and ceramic plates, but I thought that I could use cookie cutters wrapped in foil.  


I used metal cookie cutters and these aluminum cookie tins.
Lillie arranged the plastic beads in the bottom of the aluminum shape.
I needed to build a form for the heart cookie cutter, so I placed the heart on a piece of aluminum foil and wrapped the foil up around the top of the cookie cutter.

Lillie placed the beads in the bottom of the heart shape.  Make sure that there are enough beads in the bottom of the shape, so that when they melt, there will not be holes.
I placed the shapes on an old cookie sheet and placed it in a preheated oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. (longer or shorter based on oven.)  When you melt the beads, be sure to open the windows and make sure that the house it well ventilated.


After, the beads melted, I let the creations cool while we went outside to play.




After they cooled, I popped them out of the forms.  I drilled a small hole in the sun catchers and used fishing line to hang them up.



Here is a list of the Linky parties that I link up to.  Thank you to all of the hosts for letting me post my favorite recipes, crafts, money saving ideas and activities for children.

Sunday - 
I heart nap time Tutus and Tea Parties Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas Navy Wifey Peters The Foley Family Adventures in Mommydom No time for flash cards

Monday -
I Gotta Try this diy home sweet home creating really awesome free things Sumo's Sweet Stuff All Things Fee Sew Chatty Colours Dekor Make it Pretty Monday Ninth Street Notions An Original Belle  Mad in Crafts The Gunny Sack   

Tuesday -
Inside BruCrew Life Home Stories A to Z Hope Studios Coastal Charm Ladybug blessings Sugar Bee Crafts My uncommon slice of suburbia  Me and my boys Romance on a dime The Winthrop Chronicles

Wednesday-
Free Pretty Things JAQS Studio
My Girlish Whims Sew Much Ado Someday Crafts Ginger Snap Crafts Seven Thirty Three Southern Lovely Trendy Treehouse Rae Gun Ramblings DIY by Design Lil' Luna Crystal and Co.

Thursday-
 Beyond the Picket Fence Momnivore's Dilemma House of Hepworth  Yesterday on Tuesday Think Tank Thursdays  The Artsy Girl Connection Made in a Day Fireflies and jellybeans Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom  Rhinestone Beagle  The Crafty Blog Stalker Bear Rabbit Bear Crafts Homa style

Friday-
 My Romantic Home Miss Information One Artsy Mama It's a Hodgepodge life 504 Main Craft Junkie Too Simply Designing  Simply Sweet Home Kitchen Fun with my 3 sons Sun Scholars Delicate construction  Chic on a Shoestring Decorating Living Life Intentionally The Grant Life Diana Rambles JDaniels4's Mom Home school creations

Saturday-
Cheerios and Lattes Tater Tots and Jello Crafty Mom Share A Vision to Remember Serenity You Sugar Aunts


28 comments:

  1. Lovely idea! I'm gonna try this myself, I think it looks great! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Following you from Thirsty Thursday! Looking forward to reading more! Would appreciate the follow back. Have a great day!
    -Kat

    http://mom-uncensored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! We just made these with muffin tins. I love how yours are stars and hearts! Visiting from the Sunday Showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They looks so pretty. I love the patriotic idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those came out great! Love this idea!
    Thank you for linking up to our Pinteresting Party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They turned out lovely. I've had this on my to do list for awhile now, so it's good to know it actually works out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. super cute! I haven't seen this idea of melting beads like that. We also just made some sun catchers... fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So unique!
    Homa Style is having a Valentine link party going on now. I would love it if you linked up your melting beads.
    The link is
    http://homastyle.com/wp/2013/01/30/valentine-link-party/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous idea! I bet the kids love it!

    hugs x
    Crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to give this a try. I have a container of ugly plastic beads. If it doesn't look good I can just throw them away! Yours are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so pretty! Did you read a book to go along with this wonderful craft?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't read a specific book to go with it. We are always reading a variety of books.

      Delete
  12. http://repurposemylife.com/5-valentines-projects-kids

    Very cute! Please link to my craft blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the heart sun catcher. It is very cute!

    ~Emily
    http://tossedsaladlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute idea! We'll be giving these a try! My girl loves any thing she can hang in the window ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool idea! Thanks for sharing how you made these, and thanks for sharing @ Submarine Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea for preschoolers! I love it, thanks for linking up to I Freakin Did it Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a great idea for using up all the extra beads! I had no idea you could melt them down. Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really? You just melt the beads in shapes? So pretty!!!! Thanks for linking up at my Pin Me Linky Party.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so cool, I want to make one of these. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Marcie
    I Gotta Try That

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh these look fun!! The heart is perfect for Valentines!

    Thank you for linking up to Financial Friday at the Grant life! Im going to feature this Tuesday in my Valentine's roundup! Be sure to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for visiting Homa Style and linking your Valentine sun catchers.
    Have a wonderful Valentines Day!
    Remember to visit again on the last Wednesday of February for the Inspire Me link party.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...