Sunday, October 21, 2012

Turkey Ribbon Shirt Tutorial





I saw this brown shirt on pinterest from Love from Texas and I wanted to make it for my little turkeys.
First, I made a pattern for the turkey body by tracing around a couple of glasses.
Next, I transferred the pattern to the back of the fabric and cut it out.

I lightly pinned the turkey body onto the shirt.  I make it easier to pin, I placed a magazine in between the layers of the shirt.
I cut and sealed the ends of the ribbon with clear nail polish.  You can also use "no Fray." I have heard of some crafters heat sealing the end, but I have never tried that. (If you have a tutorial on how to seal the ends of the ribbon, please post the link in the comments section.  I would like to try this sometime, since I make other ribbon crafts.)
Next, I pin the ribbon feathers under the edge of the turkey body.
I used wider ribbons for the back feathers and thinner ones for the front ribbons.  I also noticed that it looked better when I used mostly pastel ribbons.
I sewed along the outside edge of the turkey with a straight stitch. You do not need to embroider the edge. I thought about stopping at this point, but I wanted to try the embroidery tool on my sewing machine.
Next, I embroidered along the outside edge of the turkey. This was the first time that I used this feature on machine and I don't think that I did that bad.  I can't wait to try other embroidery projects.



For his beak, I made a triangle out of orange ribbon and used the hot glue gun to adhere it to the shirt.  I also tacked it on with a few stitches. I used round bead buttons for the eyes.


Please post links to the turkey ribbon shirts in the comments section.  I would love to see them and any tips or tricks that you might have.

Featured at:
DianaRambles.com

Here is a list of the Linky parties that I link up to.  Thank you to all of the hosts for letting me post my favorite recipes, crafts, money saving ideas and activities for children.

Sunday - 
I heart nap time The Foley Family Tutus and Tea Parties Nifty Thrifty Things Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas Delicate construction Navy Wifey Peters

Monday -
Be Colorful  Colours Dekor
Make it Pretty Monday diy home sweet home creating really awesome free things Sumo's Sweet Stuff Its so very Cheri  All Things Fee Sew Happy Geek Sew Chatty You're talking too much  An Original Belle  Mad in Crafts Skip to my Lou The Gunny Sack  Mrs. Happy Homemaker Flour me with love

Tuesday -
A bowl full of lemons Chef in training Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk
Home Stories A to Z Hope Studios  Ladybug blessings Sugar Bee Crafts My uncommon slice of suburbia  Me and my boys Romance on a dime Elizabeth and Co.
Not just a housewife Vintage Wanna B The Winthrop Chronicles Claim Our Space - Tout it Tuesday Ninth Street Notions

Wednesday-
Free Pretty Things JAQS Studio
My Girlish Whims Sew Much Ado Someday Crafts Ginger Snap Crafts  Seven Thirty Three Southern Lovely Trendy Treehouse Primp Rae Gun Ramblings DIY by Design Lil' Luna Lady Behind the Curtain
Crystal and Co.

Thursday
A Creative Princess Beyond the Picket Fence The Artsy Girl Connection Made in a Day Momnivore's Dilemma Christinas Adventures Fireflies and jellybeans Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom House of Hepworth Yesterday on Tuesday Rhinestone Beagle  The Crafty Blog Stalker Bear Rabbit Bear Crafts  A Little Nosh Bass Giraffe Something Swanky

Friday-
Truly Lovely My Romantic Home
Miss Information One Artsy Mama  It's a Hodgepodge life Whipperberry  Stuff and Nonsense 504 Main Craft Junkie Too Chic on a Shoestring Decorating Simply Designing Blissful Bucket list Simply Sweet Home Thirty Hand Made Days Kitchen Fun with my 3 sons The Grant Life Delicate Construction Diana Rambles

Saturday-
Funky Junk Interiors
Tater Tots and Jello A Vision to Remember Serenity You Cheerios and Lattes Crafty Mom Share

34 comments:

  1. So Cute! I hope you'll come link it up at I Freakin' did it Friday! http://www.missinformationblog.com/2012/10/i-freakin-did-it-friday-11.html#more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added you Linky party to my list and I started following you. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. It turned out so cute! I want to make two of them for my little girls so they can match!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am making my youngest Daughter's shirt right now. I started following your blog too.

      Delete
  3. Super cute! I found you via nifty thrifty. I'd love to have you join my PIN MEme Linky Party because this is very Pin Worthy! I'm going to pin it now!

    Diana
    Diana Rambles
    Bento Blog Network
    Link Rink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up. It's so adorable!! I'm following you on Pinterest now!

      Delete
  4. Great tutorial, I have a few little girls that I would love to make this for. SO CUTE!
    -Jacque @theDIYvillage.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. too cute! I love the thought of using miscellaneous ribbons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My Gosh! This is the cutest shirt ever. I wish my daughter was still young, I know she would have loved it!

    I am now following your blog and facebook!
    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable. I've seen turkey shirts but none with ribbons for their feathers. I love it and have pinned it to share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute turkey!!! I love all the colorful ribbon you used. I'd love for you to share this and any other crafts at my linky party, Submarine Sunday. I hope you'll stop by!

    T'onna
    http://navywifeypeters.blogspot.com/2012/10/submarine-sunday-3-features.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I linked up this posting. I also started to follow you and look forward to future postings. thanks, Beth

      Delete
  9. so simple, so cute... so awesome!

    Thanks so much!

    hugs ~ Crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute shirt! Definitely want to make these for my girls.

    To heat seal the ribbon, I use one of those lighters, not sure what they are called, but the long ones that you use for to light a grill or something. Anyway, just use that and put the blue part of the flame to the ends of your ribbons. It works great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I wonder if I could make it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely adorable! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE IT!! This is so super cute. I'm going to have to make one of these for My Princess.

    My sister and I host a joint party and we'd love for you to join us. Remember, when you link up at one site, it shows up on both my blog and my sister's blog too...double exposure!!
    http://www.saving4six.com/2012/10/welcome-to-think-tank-thursday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your shirt turned out so cute! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This turkey pattern is absolutely adorable! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so cute especially with the name on there as well.

    Thanks for linking to the Sunday showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That turned out really cute! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yeah. That is adorable. I'm wondering who I could make one for. Thanks for sharing on BeColorful.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  19. that is very pretty indeed.. thanks for linking in :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So adorable!! The shirt looks great!! Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for linking up last week. Your blog has been chosen as star blog for this week. CONGRATS
    http://www.bassgiraffe.com/2012/10/thursday-blog-hop-1101-with-google.html (link will be live at 8PM EST tonight)

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE LOVE LOVE! Really love this! I would love for you to add this, and more of your amazing activities, to my weekly Mom's Library Link-Up.
    http://heymommychocolatemilk.blogspot.com/2012/10/moms-library-link-up-3-for-me.html

    Thanks and be blessed,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I linked it up today and I will check it out again next week. thanks! Beth

      Delete
  23. I just keep a lighter in my sewing room. When I go to use ribbon for anything just run the end of the ribbon across the flame and it keeps it from fraying. That way you don't have the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations. This is featured this week at DianaRambles.com. Come on over and grab a featured button from the sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, I love this!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...