Now over 90 ideas!
Last year, we started the elf tradition with our kids and they loved seeing what mischief Jack got into or what he brought them. First, Jack arrived with a note from Santa. We named our elf Jack and read the "Elf on the Shelf" book.
Every night, Jack went to the north pole to report back to Santa. Sometimes he would find a Christmas book or movie in our storage area to bring out each morning, but sometimes he just got into mischief. He wanted to help us put the lights on the tree.
He turned the milk green.
He hung out on the Santa nightlight.
Jack had a tea party with the stuffed animals.
Jack wanted to be a part of our family picture.
Jack on the zipline in our living room.
Jack played the trumpet on the Christmas tree.
He took a nap in the tissue box.
He got out the marshmallow shooter.
He went for a ride on the ceiling fan.
He snuck a movie into Lillie's stocking.
On the morning of Christmas Eve, Jack wrote a note and brought out a book "The night before Christmas."
November 23rd, 2012: Jack showed up this morning and he wrote on a wall with paint.
Since his arrival this year, he has been seen poolside with Barbie.
Checked the size of the stockings for Santa.
Jack drove the school bus.
Jack hung from the candy canes.
He watched us from the banister.
Jack in our ficus tree.
Jack climbed the cabinets in the kitchen.
Here are a few other Elf on the shelf ideas that I read or saw. I hope that Jack reads this post and tries some of them out.
- Sitting on the couch with remote and bowl of popcorn. There may be note about an upcoming holiday show to watch. Or Elf may have found a DVD to watch.
- Playing a board game with other dolls, stuffed animals or toys
- Reading a Christmas book. Suggestion to read book to child that day.
- Hanging from coat rack or door knob with a scarf.
- In refrigerator with a milk mustache.
- Cooking with the kitchen set.
- Sunbathing on Polly Pocket boat.
- Sitting in the freezer next to snow from outside.
- Making doughnuts out of cheerios, icing and sprinkles.
- Coloring in coloring book.
- Playing drums, piano or guitar.
- Putting a puzzle together.
- Dressing up in Barbie clothes
- Play video games
- Drinking out of a juice box
- Riding on toy scooter
- Hanging from Rapunzel's hair
- Riding on toy train
- Having a slumber party in doll house
- Looking at a photo album from last Christmas
- Reading a book
- Hot air balloon ride. See: http://thatscountryliving.com/2011/10/master-list-ideas-for-the-elf-on-the-shelf/
- Surfing the internet on computer or iPad
- Tangled up in crepe paper across doorway of child's bedroom
- Playing with legos
- Flying with Buzz Lightyear wings on.
- Snowball fight with other toys, using mini marshmallows for snowballs.
- On Little People ferris wheel
- On Little People pirate ship
- Empty out a drawer
- Knit or crochet a new scarf for child
- Hide in snowboots
- Play with play dough
- Make a self portrait
- Play with blocks
- Riding a reindeer
- Wrapped up in a towel after a shower
- TP the Christmas Tree
- Hang on child's bedpost
- Climb a rock wall. Check out Blossombunkhouse.com below.
- Looking at toy catalog
- Swing on swingset
- Dressed up as a super hero with a cape and mask, hanging from string.
- Get stuck in the bagless vacuum
- Dressed in Ken's clothes and on a date with Barbie
- Sorting and folding laundry
- Looking through the glass door on the washer or dryer
- Riding in a paper airplane
- Sitting with TV remote
- Running on treadmill
- Riding train
Also, check out this post on how to make your elf posable with just velcro and paperclips.
Here are some other blog postings on the mischief that their elf got into:
I heart nap time The Foley Family Nifty Thrifty Things Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas Navy Wifey Peters
Be Colorful I Gotta Try this
Make it Pretty Monday diy home sweet home creating really awesome free things Sumo's Sweet Stuff Its so very Cheri Sew Happy Geek You're talking too much Ninth Street Notions An Original Belle Mad in Crafts Skip to my Lou The Gunny Sack Mrs. Happy Homemaker Flour me with love
Inside BruCrew Life A bowl full of lemons Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk
Hope Studios Coastal Charm Ladybug blessings Sugar Bee Crafts My uncommon slice of suburbia At home with K Me and my boys Romance on a dime Elizabeth and Co.
Not just a housewife Vintage Wanna B The Winthrop Chronicles Claim Our Space - Tout it Tuesday
Free Pretty Things
My Girlish Whims Someday Crafts Ginger Snap Crafts Seven Thirty Three Southern Lovely Trendy Treehouse Primp Rae Gun Ramblings DIY by Design Lil' Luna Lady Behind the Curtain Ivy and Elephants
A Creative Princess Beyond the Picket Fence The Artsy Girl Connection Made in a Day Momnivore's Dilemma Fireflies and jellybeans Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom Somewhat Simple House of Hepworth Rhinestone Beagle The Crafty Blog Stalker Bear Rabbit Bear Crafts
Miss Information Delicate construction One Artsy Mama It's a Hodgepodge life 504 Main Chic on a Shoestring Decorating Simply Designing Simply Sweet Home Thirty Hand Made Days Kitchen Fun with my 3 sons The Grant Life Diana Rambles
Funky Junk Interiors
Tater Tots and Jello Cheerios and Lattes