Saturday, September 7, 2013

Sofia the First Birthday Cake




Ok, I will be honest. I will never be hired as a cake decorator for a bakery. I also refuse to pay someone a lot of money for a toddler's birthday cake.  Didn't our moms make our cake and we thought that they were great. Kids are more concerned with getting the piece of cake, than how it looks. I have typically made my children's birthday cakes. If I can make it for less than $5, then why pay a bakery to make it for $20. Last winter I begin my quest for my littlest toddler's birthday cake design and I found these.

Sofia the first from unknown? and  from cakecentral.com
Well, I knew that the cake I made wouldn't look like that, but I was going to make my own version.
First, I mixed up the cake mix and baked it in 2 round cake pans. Then I started to frost and layer the cakes. I inserted toothpicks, where I wanted the tucks of the dress to be. I first frosted the bottom layer in white with store bought icing.  
Then I added the lavender icing. I saw an idea on pinterest to use wet paper towel to smooth the frosting to make it look like fondant. It didn't work. So, I used a wet icing spreader.
 This is what it looked like next.
 Then I added the details with the white icing. I added dots and
 flowers on the sides. I first outlined the flower and then filled them in. You can use powered sugar on your finger tips to smooth and flatten the white details.
 I bought a Sofia the First figurine set from the disney store and used the Sofia as a cake decoration. I added candles for my princess and it was complete.
I hope that you will try to make a cake for the next birthday at your house.

1 comment:

  1. Good day! I was so impressed to see a very well-presented dishes that is absolutely tasty and delicious. You've done a great job.Well, thank you for sharing your talent and article it is very well appreciated. You can also visit my site if you have time.

    n8fan.net

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...