Saturday, March 1, 2014

Spring Cleaning Checklist and Tips




The snow isn't melted yet, but I know that once it starts to warm up I will be ready to start cleaning. Here is my list of spring cleaning tasks.

Dust -
  • all baseboards
  • top of door frames
  • panels on doors
  • ceiling fans
  • all furniture and tv's
  • all lamp shades
  • all blinds
  • wall hangings and wall artwork
  • Bathrooms - this seems to be one of the dustiest places in my house. It must be from all of the steam and laundry that is in this room.
    • ledge above shower and all other ledges (like above the mirror.)
    • shower curtain rod
    • shower head
    • all towel and toilet paper holders
    • lights/light fixtures 
Mop - hand mop all floors. Refer to post on natural grout cleaner to clean grout.

Vacuum - all rooms and along all baseboards with vacuum edge tools. Vacuum under furniture.
Vacuum all furniture
Shampoo carpet, if needed. I just bought carpet and they recommended professional cleaning every 18 months, in the rooms that are frequently used.

Deep clean oven - I recommend cleaning the oven without toxic fumes with this blog post.

Windows - clean inside and outsides of windows. I use this solution of vinegar to clean my windows. Cloudy days tend to work best, so that the sun doesn't dry the windows too fast, causing streaks.

Wash -
  • All bedding
Wipe down -
  • the fronts of cabinets (I have my girls do this as a monthly chore, but I like to do it quarterly.)
  • tops of cabinets. After cleaning the tops of the cabinets, put wax paper down. It will make the job go quicker next time.
Clean out and organize the refrigerator and freezer
  • I use a baking soda solution to wipe down the refrigerator and freezer
  • check all of the expiration dates and toss anything that you don't use.
  • organize fridge according to what you use
  • pull the refrigerator out from the wall and vacuum behind it. Vacuum the front vent too.
  • clean microwave by microwaving 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water. Wipe down.
Clean and organize pantry. Toss expired items.
Clean out and organize bathroom cabinets.
Organize closet. Donate clothes that you do not wear or do not fit.  
Wash outside furniture down with a soapy water solution and hose off.
Turn or flip mattresses.
Air out pillows and rugs.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...