Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Save Money by making your own Wool Dryer Balls





Wool Dryer Balls are great. They eliminate the need for fabric softener and dryer sheets. They also save on drying time, which saves you more money on your electric bill.When I saw that someone was selling wool dryer balls for $6 each, I knew that I could make mine own cheaper. I made 7 dryer balls for $10, when the wool was on sale at Michael's.
I was also interested in using fewer chemicals on our clothing, since our family has sensitive skin.

What you will need:

  • 1 skein of 100% wool yarn. I asked the lady at Micheal's to help me find the 100% wool yarn to make dryer balls and she knew exactly what I needed. I don't think that I was the only one that has asked her lately. I prefer the medium weigh yarn (grey and cream) and not the bulky yarn (multi colored).
  • 1 pair of old tights.
Making the balls: Wrap yarn about 20 times around 1st 3 fingers. Slip off fingers and wrap it 3-5 times across loops. I left a beginning tail of the yarn to tie it tight.
I wrapped the yarn 20 times across the loops, then begin changing angles to make the ball.


When you get to the desired size, use a heavy duty needle to tuck the final end through the ball.
The first ball that I made was approximately 2".
Here are the 4 dryer balls after wrapping them.
Next step: Felting. Find an old pair of tights or nylons and place them in the legs of the tights. There should be a knot between each ball. Wash and dry them 2 times. Wash them in hot water and dry the balls to achieve the felting process.
This is what the dryer balls look like after
I applied 1 drop of Young Living Lavender Essential Oils to each of the dryer balls. Click here for more information about ordering Young Living essential oils.  If you are interested in learning more about Young Living oils, Please contact me on how they can make a difference in your life.
Next, I used all 7 balls in two loads of laundry. This is what the dryer ball looked like when the drying cycle was done. I did not notice a difference in the static between the dryer balls and fabric softener.

These are the two blog postings that I followed to make my own dryer balls.
http://bodyunburdened.com/diy-wool-dryer-balls-natural-fabric-softener/
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/09/save-time-money-and-energy-make-your-own-wool-dryer-balls.html

If you are interested in learning more about Young Living Essential Oils, you can follow my Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/oildroplife 

You can order the Young Living essential oils as a retail customer through: http://yl.pe/5w3 or sign up as a distributor to get 24% off the retail price. No commitments to sell. Just enjoy the great pricing an product. If you have any questions, you can leave them in the comments section here, go to the facebook.com/oildroplife pageClick here for more info on how to sign up.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...